Post-Production Blog Post

Summary

In post-production, I collaborated with the screenwriter and the editor in discussing the difference in lighting and possible filters to help add to the atmosphere of the film during the time of graduation.

Evidence of Further Contribution

Continued contribution with director: Air-dropped additional clips to the editor to sort through and work with the editor on deciding which clips they were going to use/what shots they would need re-filmed or added.

Continued contribution with editor: Realized we were missing a shot that was filmed and got deleted. Had to re-film the shot and send it to the editor in a timely manner to maintain progress towards meeting the deadline.

This is also represents an example of a reshoot. We realized in the editing process that we needed to add a zoom shot to help transition to the diploma as without the shot the cut was very sharp. In this shot, the camera zooms into a pile of homework and papers very close, and then cuts to a zoom out of a high school diploma. We had initially filmed this during the production session of creating the film, however, in editing we noticed that the clip was deleted and we therefore had to reshoot it.

How I Could Have Improved The Film

I was not here on the day we presented our film to the advisory board and therefore I was unable to receive any feedback from them. Personally, I think I could have improved the film by changing the angle at which I shot the papers. During the post production process we realized that the angle at which I shot the papers was flipped upside down or sideways making it appear very out of place. Therefore, in the film, the different cuts to various shots of papers on the desk was very disorienting and confusing to me personally. In the future, I would choose to speak to the editor every day to ensure that he is doing a quick cut of the clips we shot that day and discuss what shots we would need to shoot to improve the film. This allows me to organize my shots better, as well as see a rough cut of the scene to help me analyze what angles or additional filming we would need to schedule time for.

What I Learned

I was not here on the day we presented our film to the advisory board and therefore I was unable to receive any feedback from them. However, in my own opinion, I feel as thought I could have increased the tension and enhanced the film by going further into this idea of a dream. Instead of focusing mostly on the characters overload of homework, maybe focus more on what they are excited for and dreaming about to really sell to the audience that the character is dreaming without leaving them a little confused. However, I do feel as though the zoom shot to the papers and then out from the diploma worked very well. I also feel as though there was a great contrast between the two close ups of the character as in one she appears very stressed, whereas in her dream it is apparent to the audience that she is relaxed and content.